Thursday, December 4, 2008

Oh Christmas Tree, oh christmas tree

Going to pick out the Christmas tree was always my FAVORITE part of Christmas. We would jump out of the van (all 7 of us) running through the evergreen maze in search of the"perfect tree". I always seemed to have a good eye for it and found the one we brought home on many occasions. I remember my dad pulling them out as we would point to them and looking straight up thinking there couldn't be anything more tall or glorious in the whole world. There was just so much magic surrounding this tree that would umbrella my presents in just a few short weeks. The excitement was almost to much to bare back then.

My kids now ooze this excitement and nothing starts off the Christmas season for me than reliving this through them. Madison's second Christmas, "tis-mas twee" was one of her few words. When Christmas was over and we put the tree outside she stood at the door and cried and cried "bye bye tis-mas twee." Last year Emily's first words were, "dat's pwetty" while pointing at the Christmas tree. There is just some sort of magic in that tree. Yes, i still Believe!


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

One thing I have always wanted to do was go and cut down our own tree. The thought of it just seemed so romantic and exciting to me. Well Nathan and I found a place not to far from our house this year with the long needle pines (very hard to find here in the south) and I could hardly contain my excitement. The day was perfectly nippy with a cold December sky. The only thing that could have made it more magical would have been if it was snowing, but we live in Charlotte so let's be real here. We couldn't have asked for a better wintry day in this part of the country. The kids took off running through the Christmas tree forest (at least to them it felt like a forest). "What about this one!", "I like this one!" the kids are yelling. Madison screams at Nathan "Daddy I want a MON-STER TWEE!" (yup she still says twee, i know i should be concerned but it will be cute for another year or so). We all rounded a corner and I swear angels sang as we saw our tree-the perfect tree. A gorgeous color perfectly shaped - no holes and it was a !monster! standing at 9 feet tall. The funniest part was watching Nathan carry it out completely lost in it's branches to find out only 100 yards from the car that the man had a wagon to pull it out on. HA! He was pulling pine needles out of cracks and crevices for hours! Memories! I love this time of year!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope that tree isn't my present! hahaha! Now I know you guys just don't want me to visit, di ya? First the cats, then the dog and now a live twee. Guess I know where I stand with the beloved "Rugrats!"

steph said...

We have a live tree every year,it smells pretty. Bonus!- It also keeps crazies away.

Vlazny's said...

I think it's so fitting that Nate is wearing shorts.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun...and nice. Are you sure you don't want a tiny 2 foot artificial pre-lit tree. (who are those people fooling anyway...it doesn't look real at all...unless you are blind and take off your glasses).

When I move to NC, you'll have to tell me where that farm is. You know I'll be getting one from there next year!

Lisa R said...

Hey Steph!

Found you through Amy's blog. I think we went to that same place for our Christmas tree. Is it right off 150? We trekked up there again this year from Concord to get one yet again!
You look like you are doing well! Fun Christmas pics!