Tuesday, June 24, 2008

SCHOOLS OUT!!




After having a very lazy pretty calm and peaceful day at the pool it had me look back and think of my childhood summers. Here are some of my favorite things:
  • After swimming for hours and you are so water logged your shaking from being so cold, then laying on the hot pavement and feeling like you are melting onto it. I LOVED THAT FEELING!



  • I loved near the end of a thunderstorm, getting on my bike and riding through the water in the opposite direction it was running down the street and having it spray up on you.



  • Spending all day at the baseball fields searching for lost change under the bleachers, from the pockets up above because Swedish fish only cost 1 cent a fish. I bought plenty of "just one fish" over the years.



  • Being in such good shape you'd see the ice cream man go by your house and were able to go inside grab your money and then catch him a block away. I was a good customer! One year at the end of the summer he gave me all the leftover candy cigarettes, lollipops and paper button candies he had left in his truck.



  • candy cigarettes, bad i know but I LOVED them!!



  • Being freezing at someones house after they had the air conditioner blasting and then getting in a really hot car and having the warmth just take over and fill you up in a matter of seconds.



  • Not having a care in the world, this I miss the most!



I asked my kids what they liked about summer,



  • Bryson- going to the pool and i'm excited there's no school



  • Natalie- My birthday and going to the pool



  • Madison- going to the beach with my whole family and the pool with my whole family. Oh yeah mommy, and getting soooooo HOT that you HAVE to go to the pool!



  • Emily- uh-oh uh-oh uh-oh baoon!!!! (she let go of a balloon a few days ago in our entryway and it still hasn't come down. She is very concerned about it. It's all she has said for two days straight now. Her neck has gotta hurt from looking up!)



Well, that's our favorite things about summer. How about you, what are yours?




3 comments:

Vlazny's said...

I loved the candy cigarettes too. I havent had one since I was a kid. Looks like you guys are so ready for summer. They are all getting so big since the first time I met them and Emily is so sweet. We cant wait to see you guys, I hope its soon!

Anonymous said...

When i was a kid, summer meant the Y, it meant playing outside from the crack of dawn until way after dark. it meant walking down to Felix's to get a donut in the morning, playing baseball, grilled cheese sandwiches, and fireflies. It meant swimming, swimming, swimming. Then there were Phillies games at the park and on TV. Also, all summer it was my job to water the geraniums. At night, i stayed up - reading babysitter's club and nancy drew under the covers with my flashlight.
Our house didn't have an AC, so we had a fan in the window, and it kept us SOOOO cold. Once a summer we'd make a trip to Amish country (WHYYYYYYYY) and to Hershey park! (YAY!)

All in all, summer was great.

Oh - and the ice cream man...I never really got to experience that one. My mom always told us that the Ice Cream man was really a drug dealer, and that he would sell kids crack cocaine. It made a lot of sense to me when we moved from our house in a Houston Ghetto to west Houston/Katy (a rich area)- We never saw the ice cream man once we moved. Then when we moved to Exton, PA, no ice cream man either.

So, instead of actually getting ice cream, I remember being a really little kid, hearing the ice cream man, seeing the ice cream paintings on the side of the truck, and seeing all the kids line up to get ice cream (not crack), and I'd be wishing that i could have some. I was pretty sure that the Ice Cream Man's treats were way better than what we had, too (duh - it was laced with narcotics)...it's the memory i wish i had! haha.

steph said...

Yes Catania, the good ol' Y and our sharks and minnows games! We we spent alllllll day every day there in the summer if we didn't have baseball games. We went to Hershey park every Memorial day. I believe you accompanied some of the time. I did catch plenty of fireflies in my time. Sometimes I would sneak a jar full up to my bed so I could hide with them under the covers.

My kids ask me all the time what I did when I was little and I tell them I woke up ate breakfast, went outside, came in and ate lunch, went outside, came in and ate dinner, went outside. Then my mom would come outside and say, you have to come in now. Then, my kids just look at me in utter disbelief.